Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Review: Lost Stars by Claudia Gray



Lost Stars (Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens)Title:  Lost Stars
Author:  Claudia Gray
Publisher: Disney LucasFilm Press
Publishing Date: September 4th 2015
Pages: 551
Genre: YA/NA Sci Fi Fantasy/ Space Opera
Series:  Stand Alone? 
Source:  Audio
 
Star Wars meets Romeo and Juliet in this epic YA novel that follows two best friends who find themselves on opposite sides of the war between the Empire and the Rebellion.

This thrilling YA novel gives readers a macro view of some of the most important events in the Star Wars universe: from the purge of the Jedi in Episode III, to the beginnings of the rebellion in Star Wars Rebels, and through the fall of the Empire in Episodes IV-IV. Readers will experience these major moments through the eyes of two best friends who grow up in these troubling times, and find themselves on opposite sides of the war.

As with other Journey to Episode VII titles, hints about the upcoming film will be included in the narrative, as well a original, post-Episode VI content that sets up the new film.

DUAL NARRATIVE: Chapters alternate perspectives between our two protagonists – one a Rebel pilot, the other an Imperial officer. By exploring these two different worlds, readers will experience many of the major moments in the original Star Wars trilogy – from the destruction of the Death Star to the battle of Hoth – through these two characters' eyes.


I don't think this book was highly advertised and I am not sure why. I was so super excited when I found this book and literally counted down til I could read the book. I am a huge Star Wars fan but have never read any of the books from the Star Wars world. I decided this would be my first and I really enjoyed it.It was fun and it was different but yet still Star Wars. 

This book takes place after the Empire takes over - about 8 years. The main characters are the same sage as the Empire (or that age of Luke and Leia) The story is about Ciena and Thane. Two kids who grow up wanting to be pilots in the Empire. We see them grow up together through age 8 all the way through their early twenties. Jest of it is.... One is on the rebel side and one is in the Empire. It's their love story and we get to see what Star Wars looks like from the outside.

What I loved about the book. It takes  place through all the major events and battles in Star Wars. We hear quotes from Star Wars... all through out the book. I loved it. We see events or hear about the events of Leia being captured. The Death Star being destroyed. The Battle of Hoth. We hear from minor characters from Star Wars. It was fun. Very very fun. Oh and the famous quote "I have a really bad feeling about this" is in the book. How AWESOME. 

I liked the characters. I liked Ciena enough. I liked her in the beginning, got mad at her in the middle, hated her at one point, then loved her in the end and hated her in the end. She was loyal, too loyal and it gave her beer goggles. I really wanted to slap her but had to remember.... I know how this story ends... she doesn't yet. 

I liked Thane. He was a bit on the stubborn side. Thought rules were meant to be broken. Was also loyal. Spoke up even when he shouldn't. He was the smarter out of the two when it came to street smart where as Ciena was smarter in strategy. 

The romance was sweet. It was very slow and as a a reader I could see it building for a very long time when the characters were pretty stupid about it. Started at a very young age... friends and slowly became more as they aged. 

The book was romance... I wouldn't call it Romeo and Juliet... but it was forbidden love. It was a nice part of the book but the parts that I enjoyed were the struggles. Where does the loyalty land and when should the loyalty end. Where should one's loyalty really lie... with country, with family, with friendship.... When is too much sacrifice of innocent lives too much. How does one know what is right or wrong and it is clear  cut. Lots of struggles in the book, inner turmoil, life changing decisions. I liked it. 

It very much had the entire Star Wars feel down and I loved that. I actually listened to the audio and all the great Star Wars music and sound effects were present. That added to the fun for sure. 

My only complaint... there were some slow parts. Not many but they were present.



I loved it and I think if you are a star wars fan grab and read it. If not a fan.. well just try it. 



Claudia Gray

Claudia Gray is not my real name. I didn't choose a pseudonym because my real name is unpleasant (it isn't), because I'd always dreamed of calling myself this (I haven't) or even because I'm hiding from the remnants of that international diamond-smuggling cartel I smashed in 2003 (Interpol has taken care of them). In short, I took a pseudonym for no real reason whatsoever. Sometimes this is actually the best reason to do things.
I live in New Orleans. So far, in life, I've been a disc jockey, a lawyer, a journalist and an extremely bad waitress, just to name a few. I especially like to spend time traveling, hiking, reading and listening to music. More than anything else, I enjoy writing.


1 comment:

  1. I've seen these books here and there, lately! It's so great to hear how well this one went. I am a huge fan of Claudia Gray as she was the one who got me into YA fiction in the first place. I definitely wanna give this a shot now!

    Lovely review, Jenn Renee <33

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs