Sunday, March 4, 2018

Review: The 11th Hour by Kristine Scarrow

The 11th HourTitle: The 11th Hour
Author: Kristine Scarrow
Publisher: Dundurn
Publishing Date: February 24th, 2018
Pages: 192
Genre: Young Adult Mental Illness
Series: Standalone
Source:  ARC
 

Annika Dietty thinks her future is with Dylan Sopick — until they run away together.
One day, after weeks of secret planning, seventeen-year-old Annika Dietty leaves home at dawn to run away with her boyfriend, the charming and popular Dylan Sopick. She tried telling her friends and family how amazing Dylan is, but seeing as they all seem set against the relationship, she’s decided their only chance is to run away together.
But not everything goes according to plan, and Dylan seems to be having more and more trouble dealing with every obstacle they encounter. At first Annika is sympathetic, knowing that he’s had a harder life than she has, but very soon Dylan’s behaviour becomes unsettling, and Annika realizes that her safety is at stake. She finally admits to herself that Dylan needs help she can’t provide. She wants to get him to help — if she’ll get the chance.

What made me pick this book up: 
I saw it on Netgalley and the cover looked so creepy and ominous, I just had to read it.

What did I like about the cover: 
It's a beautiful picture. The fog is nice and creepy, it fits well with the book.

What made me read this book: 
The cover and the synopsis. It was on netgalley to read and review and I thought, why not? Looks like a good read. It also fits in with one of my tasks.

What did I like the most: 
I really don't think there was anything I liked about this book. I guess the old man at the end with his dog was sweet...

What didn't I like: 
Well... Let's start with characters. Annika? Naive, immature, whiny, pretty dumb. Dylan? Whiny, annoying, freaked out so easily. Might be slight spoilers coming up...
I know he's that way for a reason, and it's really not his fault. But seriously, come on. I think I'm just a little done with whiny teen books. 
Anyway! 
The characters were flat, the story was slow, and had no build up. I didn't care what happened to them. The only thing that kept me going was it was a short book, and I needed it for my task.
I really think with books like these they should have trigger warnings, or something. I understand it's good to get it out there, it needs to be discussed. But some people are triggered so easily. 

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
I might... Maybe it was just an off book? If I read another one by her and don't like it, I won't try it again. But maybe her other ones aren't bad.









Not going to lie, I was super excited for this book. It had so much potential, so much that could have happened, and didn't. I was so disappointed.

You'll Miss Me When I'm GoneThe Smallest PartWithout Merit

I'm the author of the young adult novels "Throwaway Girl" and "If This Is Home" and "The 11th Hour" (Dundurn Press).
Although I do some freelance writing, editing, and facilitating workshops, writing books is the ultimate for me!
I have a special interest in writing as a healing art and I want others to discover how writing can be a useful tool to help heal and grow. I have the privilege of working as the writer-in-residence at a local hospital as part of their Healing Arts program.
Born and raised in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, I am married and have three awesome kids, two dogs, and a chaotic but enriching life!
You can find me at:
www.kristinescarrow.com
Or on Facebook: Kristine Scarrow, Author



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs