Monday, May 21, 2018

Review: And Then There Were Four by Nancy Werlin

And Then There Were FourTitle:  And Then There Were Four
Author:  Nancy Werlin
Publisher: Dial Books
Publishing Date:  June 6th, 2017
Pages: 416
Genre: YA Psychological Thriller
Series:  Stand Alone
Source:  Audio
 

Let's not die today. Not even to make things easier for our parents.
When a building collapses around five teenagers--and they just barely escape--they know something strange is going on. Little by little, the group pieces together a theory: Their parents are working together to kill them all. Is it true? And if so, how did their parents come together--and why? And, most importantly, how can the five of them work together to save themselves?

This one has been on my TBR list for a while and to be honest I was a little scared to read it because of mixed reviews. It sounds like a book I would really enjoy but a few reviews had me a bit worried. So I held off and then I decided to just read it. And I did and I loved it. 
There were some kids, they weren't friends some hardly knew each other but they were invited to a meeting in a creaky old really not safe building. Once there the roof caves in and almost kill them. After this, the kids get together and start to put things together. It seems one has an idea that his mother is trying to kill him and maybe this means all the parents have a pact to kill these kids, all for different reasons. So one ends up dead and the rest run for their lives, sticking together, hiding, figuring things out, and trying to find someone to trust. 

This book was just what I wanted it to be. A twisty dark thrilling ride. So I will start off by giving the disclaimer... this book has nothing in it that is believable.... It's totally unrealistic... but I didn't care. I was on the edge of my seat for most of the book. I didn't know what was going on, what was true and what was imagined, and more importantly who was behind the entire mess. It really had me on my toes. This is what made me really love this book. I needed something to wake me up, excite me, send me chills. This book did that. 

The entire premise that parents of some teens get together and make a pact to help kill each other's children seems absurd. Right. This book made it seem real or at least imaged and played out well. I really didn't know what was true, but either way, I was engaged and enthralled. 

There were a couple different characters but two main ones. Saralinda and Caleb. The story is told from both POVs 

I liked Saralinda. I thought she was pretty tough for the life she has been given. I mean she has had it hard physically but really she has had it good otherwise. She was brought up well, she didn't whine or use her shortcomings as a negative thing. She was realistic and optimistic. 

I also liked Caleb. Not as well as Saralinda. He had his own set of issues but I understood his issues and I was able to connect with him. What I really loved about him, his wanting to do the right thing and how he genuinely cared what happened to the others. He seemed a little cold at first, but he really wasn't and as the story progressed I got to know him and really liked him. 

The story was fast paced. It started out with a bang and never slowed down. There were many jaw-dropping moments, WTF moments, and That didn't just happen moments. I love a book that can keep me guessing and never knowing what is really going on. Sometimes these reads can get confusing but if the author does it right... it's just perfect. There was no confusion. Each charcter had a very distinctive voice and the plot was well thought out and put together. The writing was great and the only time I felt lost was when I was feeling lost with the rest of the characters. 

This book really was quite a surprise for me, a little gem and I am so happy I finally read it. I am quite satisfied with this read. 



What A thrilling ride. Loved it!



Nancy Werlin

Nancy Werlin writes young adult fiction: New York Times–bestselling fantasy, Edgar-award winning suspense, and National Book Award-honored realistic novels.

Nancy's newest book is the suspense thriller AND THEN THERE WERE FOUR.


1 comment:

  1. YAY!! I liked this book too. I didn't read the back of the book before I started it, and I was SO SHOCKED at who was setting them up!! I liked Saralinda once I got used to the way she talked. I'm glad you ended up liking it too-- and I totally agree that it was a little far fetched, but I was okay with that because it was page-turning.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs