Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Review: The Last Night by Kerry Wilkinson


Last NightTitle: Last Night 
Author: Kerry Wilkinson
Publisher: Bookouture
Publishing Date:  March 28th, 2018
Pages: 340
Genre: Adult Psychological Thriller
Series:  Stand Alone
Source:  Audio
 
It’s the early hours of the morning and Rose Denton wakes up behind the steering wheel of her car. She’s off the road, through a hedge and in a field.

There’s blood on the windscreen and bonnet – but it’s not hers and there’s no sign of anything or anyone she might have hit. The last thing she remembers is being in a hotel on a business trip but now she’s miles away.

Back home and her daughter’s boyfriend is missing. The last thing he did was argue with Rose over money. He left no note, no text, no clue as to his whereabouts.

The police have questions – and so does Rose’s family. But those are little compared to the ones she has for herself.

What happened last night? And, perhaps more importantly, does she really want to know the answer?

I grabbed this book from NetGalley and for some reason didn't get to it so I decided to grab it on audio. I really enjoyed this book. It was so good and I really didn't know what was what half the book. The mystery was great and it had me on the edge of my seat for sure. Quite a fast-paced page-turner of a read.
Rose is a mother and a wife. She isn't happy with her life, but she lives it. After a work engagement out of town, she wakes up in her car in the middle of the street, and there is blood. There is nobody, no animal, she is not hurt. Not knowing where the blood came from she drives home and cleans up the car. The next day she finds out her daughter's boyfriend is missing. This leads to a bunch of questions and many strange things happening that she can't explain. She doesn't know if she is guilty of something or someone is messing with her head. She needs to figure it out before she is hauled off to jail. 

I really truly enjoyed this read. I haven't read such a crazy read in a while. The mystery was so well done, I didn't figure out until I was mean to figure it out and I was just as lost and confused as the main character. The pacing was well done and I never tired of not knowing what was going on. I was at times afraid to find out. I didn't want it to end badly for the main character... unless she was truly guilty. I was in suspense for most of the book. 

The main character... well she was a little annoying at times. She made some choices I would have mot made and I did not approve of and were just morally wrong.. I think her choices made things worse for her and just played into whatever was going on so easily. She loved her daughter and I think she was scared of losing her and also losing herself if she found out she was guilty of something.  I can't imagine what it would be to wake up with blood on your car and no memory. I did read the book with as little judgment as I could... I wanted to enjoy it and not pick it apart. She was a little whiny too. I don't like whiny characters, especially adult ones. But the story was so good and all over the place, she was easy to deal with. 

May of the book is just trying to figure out what the heck is going on and for some reason, I love these reads. There is something in the main characters past that is really affected her, the story, the details, the truth are slowly revealed. I also love books that do this. I liked the past and present being involved in different chapters and I liked things to come out slowly. Keep me in the dark, please! 

It was a pretty fast read and really the only big complaint I have that kept this from being rated 5 hearts, the ending. It wasn't bad, but it felt rushed. I liked the ending, it made sense, I could see why it all went down. There were things I never saw coming... just felt rushed in a way. 


I really enjoyed this read and look forward to reading more by this author! 



Kerry Wilkinson

Kerry Wilkinson has had No.1 bestsellers in the UK, Canada, South Africa and Singapore, as well as top-five books in Australia. He has also written two top-20 thrillers in the United States. His book, Ten Birthdays, won the RNA award for Young Adult Novel of the Year in 2018.

As well as his million-selling Jessica Daniel series, Kerry has written the Silver Blackthorn trilogy - a fantasy-adventure serial for young adults - a second crime series featuring private investigator Andrew Hunter, plus numerous standalone novels. He has been published around the world in more than a dozen languages.

Originally from the county of Somerset, Kerry has spent far too long living in the north of England, picking up words like 'barm' and 'ginnel'.

When he's short of ideas, he rides his bike or bakes cakes. When he's not, he writes it all down.

Find out more at: his website or Facebook (less)
:

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs