Sunday, May 13, 2018

Review: One Was Lost by Natalie D. Richards

One Was LostTitle: One Was Lost
Author: Natalie D. Richards
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publishing Date: October 4th, 2016
Pages: 308
Audio Length: 6 Hours and 56 Minutes
Genre: Young Adult Thriller
Series: Standalone
Source: Audio
 

Damaged. Deceptive. Dangerous. Darling. Are they labels or a warning? The answer could cost Sera everything.
Murder, justice, and revenge were so not a part of the plan when Sera set out on her senior camping trip. After all, hiking through the woods is supposed to be safe and uneventful.
Then one morning the group wakes up groggy, confused, and with words scrawled on their wrists: Damaged. Deceptive. Dangerous. Darling. Their supplies? Destroyed. Half their group? Gone. Their chaperone? Unconscious. Worst of all, they find four dolls acting out a murder—dolls dressed just like them.
Suddenly it's clear; they're being hunted. And with the only positive word on her wrist, Sera falls under suspicion…

What made me pick this book up: 
Jenn told me about it, actually. She said it sounded like a book I would like.

What did I like about the cover: 
It looks creepy. I like the woods and how dark everything looks. I feel like the voodoo doll on the cover matches well. 

What made me read this book: 
Like I said, Jenn did. Plus I do love anything creepy/scary/horror and a book about a group of teens going camping, and being drugged and followed. Well that seems pretty creepy to me. 

What did I like the most: 
The mystery of this book was fantastic. I didn't figure out who it was until like 10 seconds before they reveled it. So I applaud the author for that. She didn't at all give it away. I kept trying to guess who it was but nothing seemed to add up.

It was written well, very creepy, and I had listened to it on audio and it definitely me feeling jumpy and at the edge of my seat the whole time. 

The narrator was great at reading the book and putting the emotions into her voice, you felt everything the characters felt the entire time.

I think for the most part the characters are written well, I think she wrote each of their personalities well. 

And I really really liked both Lucas and Jude. And Emily was okay as well. I didn't care for Sera, which I'll talk about in the what didn't I like section. But in the end she did come together. 

So really, this is one of those horror movie type books, that you would find on netflix and you're thinking this looks kind of creepy, but not enough to freak me out. But then, there you are, alone in the dark, and every noise you hear is making you jump. 


What didn't I like: 
Sera was annoying. She kept bringing up how she wasn't her mother, wasn't like her mother, not her mother. It drove me absolutely crazy. I rolled my eyes every time she said it. 
I understand, she's obviously got issues and has PTSD or whatever, but it was just obnoxious. I could have made a drinking game out of it, I swear. 

So it lost a star mostly just because she was annoying.

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
I think so, yeah.





I think it was a well written thriller, that keeps you guessing. 


“Pain spreads up from my middle, squeezing tight in my chest. I think that's my heart. But hearts lie.” 
― Natalie D. RichardsOne Was Lost

ShutterWhat Waits in the WoodsTen


1 comment:

 
Imagination Designs