Thursday, May 3, 2018

Review: Peeves by Mike Van Waes

Peeves by [Van Waes, Mike]Title: Peeves
Author: Mike Van Waes
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publishing Date: May 8th, 2018
Pages: 336
Audio Length: N/A
Genre: MG Sci-Fi
Series: Standalone
Source: ARC
 

Steven (Slim) Pickings is on the edge of a breakdown—but then, it always feels like Slim is teetering on the edge of something. The difference this time is that something’s caused Slim’s worries to come alive!
He’s set loose a bunch of annoying, pesky, outrageously contagious creatures—and they’re infecting everyone they meet and massing to take over the town!
Slim’s problems began when he and his sister, Lucy, visited their dad's work and Slim was hit in in the face with an experimental medicine, a previously not-yet-human-tested anti-anxiety spray called Personal Vexation Zoners, PVZ. No one knew the side effects before, but certainly none of the experts imagined that the spray would cause anyone infected to literally sneeze out their biggest peeves.
Now Slim and the rest of the town are trailed by the things that annoy them most. Noisy Peeve, Lazy Peeve, Asking Peeve—they all stick with Slim at all times and left untreated, they’re quickly getting worse and way, way more destructive.
To stop them, Slim will have to do more than just team up with his family and friends—he’ll have to face his fears, literally
What made me pick this book up: 

The cover most definitely did. I was exploring books on Netgalley and this one had such a cute and unique cover, paired with an interesting name, I instantly wanted to read it.

What did I like about the cover: 

It's so cute! I love seeing all the cute little peeves on the cover, the colors are bright and cute, and I think it's perfect.

What made me read this book: 

The cover! I swear I read this purely for the cover. I mean the synopsis was really interesting too, but really. The cover is adorable.

What did I like the most:

I think this book has such an important story. It teaches about coping, and anxiety. I loved reading about how all of the characters "peeves", whatever made them mad, upset, angry, frustrated, gave them anxiety, came to real life. 
The characters had to not only recognize what was bothering them but learn how to deal with them. 

It also taught that not everything is going to be all honky dory all the time, and it's okay to feel negative emotions and to be sad or upset, as long as you don't let it run your life.

With that being said, this book is about a 12-year-old boy who has anxiety, he has panic attacks almost constantly. He takes a lot of meds for it, and they decide to put him on a medication vacation and see how he copes. 
He doesn't cope well, and his parents don't even try to understand what's going on with him. They act like they can just give him medicine and he'll be fine.
But going through everything together, they learn that they can't just push the feelings down, and they get to live how he lives every day, and they really realize how much it sucks. 

The characters are great. Slim is adorable, and honestly, it was so refreshing to read a book that actually shows how hard it is and terrifying it is to live with anxiety. I think it really shows that off well.

Slim's little sister is always looking for attention because all the attention is always focused on Slim, which is one of her peeves. So it also brings to light how other people also have to live with the anxiety, even when they aren't the ones who actually have the anxiety.

It was interesting reading about all the things that bother people, and the peeves it turns into.

Also let me just tell you, Asking Peeves is adorable. So adorable.

For a book written for MG I feel like this book just packs so much in, and it's written perfect for young readers, and it might actually help them understand what's happening if they do have anxiety.

What didn't I like: 

I don't think there was anything I didn't really like to be honest. I rated it 4 stars, just because it was a little young for me. 

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?

I think I would!


This was an absolutely adorable book with a great story to it!


My Life in Smiley (Book 1 in Smiley series): It's All GoodConfusion Is Nothing NewThe Key to Every Thing

1 comment:

 
Imagination Designs